i've been meaning to answer this one:
What would you call the perfect banana?
Just ripe enough to peel easily? Or all soft and mushy?
the perfect banana is probably greener than most normal humans like it. "just ripe enough to peel easily" is a surprisingly good way to describe it, but i feel like pointing out that i'm fine w/the ones that peel like fibrous tamales. the big question is "spots"; are there any? b/c if there are, HELL NO. in fact, the ideal banana has no marks whatsoever blemishing its flawless yellowy outside. it is pristine, it hasn't been jostled about in the bottom of my tote bag, nor has it been over-handled by some unknown fingers. it's firm and not too sweet. my mom says that my father had the exact same exacting standards for a banana. she also said that i like the taste of banana sap, b/c that's what's present in the sort of banana i like, the ones with a tinge of green. of course, my malayalam is sub-par, so don't hold my translation of "sap" against her.
when i peel a banana, it should be perfect from tip to toe. not slightly brown and mushy at the top, no. it should be uniform and solid, not too stringy. and the last bite should separate from the peel effortlessly, with no degradation of texture.
manhattan is the best place in the world b/c you can buy everything you'd ever want on the street. the fruit vendors always had bananas that resemble what i've described here, so i was never without. the other reason why manhattan is awesome is b/c it's NOT a big, impersonal city. it's a big, personal one. my fruit guy got so used to me, i'd cruise right past him, picking up a prime specimen and leaving a quarter all in one fluid motion, w/o the need to break my stride or have him ackowledge the transaction with anything other than a knowing smile.
i had a suboptimal banana today.
- whenever i correctly "question" the final jeopardy answer, i feel REALLY 'mart.
- i wish i liked flossing more. what a necessary, tedious chore. i even bought cranberry Radius floss from whole foods, it's phenomenal stuff and apparently quite good for you, but that doesn't make me run for it nightly all atwitter. sigh. ow.
- someone adorable made me swoon when she posted a certain picture to her fotolog. i'm thinking of you, too.
- the day that i had been nervous about went surprisingly well. perhaps wearing pink elmo knickers does count for something.
- i'm watching the original dukes of hazzard. i want a white jeep that says "dixie", toute suite, s'il vous plait.
- even when i call my mother to tell her that i've given in about something she's complained about for three years, she STILL lectures me, as if i hadn't made any sort of announcement whatsoever. "MA. STOP. i'm going to do what you want. please don't go on about it when i'm telling you that i'll do exactly what you're nagging me about. oy." "i'm just saying..." "ma, i KNOW. that's why i thought you'd be happy to hear it." meh.
- i growl like a german shepherd. who knew? (i went to a world-reknowned breeder on a whim this weekend, their pet kept barking at me and making this grumbling noise that i realised i make ALL THE TIME. i'm massively amused by this. no wonder my father wouldn't buy me the mastiff.)
- spaghetti-strapped yoga bra = comfy, good, form and fxn.
- if i go to bed now i'll get 6.5 hours of sleep...sigh.