remember last month when i started my "100 things" list? well i finished it. finally. enjoy... ;)
95. there's a holy trinity of things i MUST have: music is obviously first of these (ever seen the "About" page of this blog?), things which i can read come next...but number three? CARS. i. love. cars.
94. speaking of music, i'd rather spend money on it than food. and there were times in graduate school when i DID. (didn't help that Tower Records was practically on campus at GW).
93. speaking of graduate school, i didn't try fast food until i was in it. i shit you not. being a strict veg, i didn't have a ton of reasons to visit a drive through window-- keep in mind that fast food started serving things besides hamburgers only recently. so yeah, i was 25 when i tried it. taco hell. i hated it.
92. if you don't know what my favourite movie of all time is, you're probably not a close friend...or you haven't read my original profile on browndatingdotcom. it's the "Sound of Music". i know it by heart. you would too after seeing it 80+ times.
91. all of my BFs have been brown. i like dark hair and brown eyes. i like tan skin. it's not like i can control what turns me on. and indian boys? you lucky, occasionally unworthy bastards? it's you. ;)
85. i learned how to drive in india when i was 14, via my father's own legendary driving guru. manual-trannied Fiat. daddy always muttered that the reason why i was lucky with cars (no accidents that were my fault) and my sister wasn't had to do w/that leaf w/the 100-rupee note folded in it, that i handed over before my lesson.
84. though i love music (this blog once had the slogan "music is the only thing that matters" under its title), i don't get to go to many concerts. the band i've seen most? Travis. Fran makes me weep shamelessly, through the entire show. *shiver*
83. i gave up on taco hell for quite a while, b/c two weeks of bean burritos hurriedly retrieved before evening classes meant cellulite on my ass and a sickening taste in my mouth...but then burger king started selling stuffed jalapenos and mozzarella sticks. and then my bf at the time declared that i was the greatest gf ever, b/c i was so fascinated by burger king, i regularly turned down white tablecloths for the outlet in dupont circle.
82. fun anna fact: i haven't seen most movies you THINK i've seen. trust me.
81. i resumed my "stick" lessons in a 1956 porsche speedster when i was 21. i hated that car. it was pretty, but not fun to drive (like me!). my then-bf and i were screaming homicide at each other 15 minutes in to the "lesson". so i jumped out of the car, grabbed the keys to his BMW drop, let it roll down the driveway (b/c i didn't know where reverse was) and then TAUGHT MYSELF how to drive it, lurching around the block for about 3o minutes until i could leave a stop sign w/o killing the engine. he chain-smoked and fumed the entire time. but when i finally turned off the car and parked it on the street (too scared of the steep driveway!) he slowly sauntered up, whipped his sunglasses off his face, scowled at me and said, "nice job. you know how to drive." then he walked away. yeah, you know what? bad boys? way overrated. they suck. don't date them. 'specially if they chain.
75. rover. benz. benz. jetta. civic. damnit, shouldn't that order be REVERSED?
74. 500+ CDs. 600+ if i called in ALL THE DISCS THAT'S BEEN PILFERED. you thieves.
73. burger king UK kicks burger king amreeka's ASS. er, ARSE. the fried mozzarella is HEART-SHAPED and they had the wedgie burger years before we did. oh, and over there? it doesn't taste like ASS.
72. what do i mean by the movie comment? leave ME a comment, asking me if i've seen a common, mass-marketed, uber-popular film and i'll be your huckleberry.
71. 13 years: three mallu, one bong, three punjabi. and that's what i'm ending up with. :)
65. i TOTALLY think you can glean loads of information based on what someone drives. no, i didn't want or choose my civic...but i made sure it was RED, a COUPE and top-of-the-line. if you can't discern meaningful shit about me based on those three facts, you're an idiot.
64. i will never like metallica. many have tried to convert me, all have failed. i even watched their big concert fil-im on a wall-sized projection TV w/the GREATEST surround sound system EVER (go ashwin!)...and...nothing.
63. my FAVE fast food of ALL TIME?
whataburger. in texas.
lord have mercy, but taquitos must be what G-d eats for breakfast, w/cheese and extra hot sauce. mmm!
62. i only got to see three movies in amreekan theaters when i was growing up: snow white, Gandhi and oddly enough, the little mermaid. that last one left me unwilling to go back for more. well, not until college. veena picked TLM, btw. blech.
61. come to think of it, my best relationships were w/my punjabi ex-bfs.
55. i was consumed with "Knight Rider". infatuated even...watching it gave me a funny feeling in my seven-year old tummy...i think it was my first crush!!! eek! :D that "Knight Industries Two Thousand" was dreeeeeeeeeeeamy.
54. if the people at AXE knew *anything*, they'd turn that "gimme love" (guy bitten by mosquito that gets devoured by the frog that ends up on the plate of geezer who croaks while banging the B-level catherine zeta-jones wanna-be) snippet in to a full-fledged fucking album. that song was stuck in my head for DAYS and it doesn't even exist.
53. these days? my fast food weakness is jack in the crack. okay fine, jack in the BOX.
52. i did NOT see the "passion", nor do i plan to...
51. i talk about my EXs wayyy too much. :( sorry.
46. yeah. I believe in creation. One ex- said it was one of his favourite things about me, that it was just a wickedly entertaining inconsistency. I love science and am forever justifying things by saying that “from an evolutionary perspective—“, but I cannot get behind this idea that I came from monkeys. Adam and eve, baby. It’s all about the genesis.
45. i hate SUVs. my baby would be safer in a porsche boxter. haters? kindly acquaint y'self w/one Malcolm Gladwell. too lazy? let me QUOTE:
Gladwell then accompanies a Consumer Reports safety expert on test drives of two very different cars -- a Chrevrolet TrailBlazer and a Porsche Boxster:
Most of us think that SUVs are much safer than sports cars. ...What we forget, though, is that in the TrailBlazer you're also much more likely to hit the tractor-trailer because you can't get out of the way in time. In the parlance of the automobile world, the TrailBlazer is better at "passive safety." The Boxster is better when it comes to "active safety," which is every bit as important. ...
44. i don't download music. yeah, i'm a luddite. FUCK YOU. i also prefer vinyl.
43. cheddar-stuffed jalapeno peppers dipped in ranch are my UNDOING. find them at JackInTheCrack.
42. i turned down a bollywood screen test that was set up post-pageant b/c i don't speak hindi AND b/c i decried the bollywood beauty standard which didn't reflect what indian girls actually look like. that and i wasn't interested. i was an elitist, uber-cerebral faux-intellectual at 21, you see. now? i'd probably take 'em up on it. ;)
41. upon reflection, if i could go back and do it again, i would only choose to date 3 of my ex-bfs...the rest really didn't deserve me or the lavish amounts of love i gave.
35. lexus irks the shit out of me. toyota, toyota, toyota. please don't tell my future father-in-law this. ;)
34. i once listened to Morrissey's "Bona Drag" 53 times in a row, when i was a freshman in college.
33. i can't believe that JackInTheCrack now sells a greek salad! and further, that it's GOOD! yum.
32. i tend to watch "Bridget Jone's Diary" on DVD when i'm sorta blue, 'specially about y-chromosomes. it was becoming an epidemic, but now that my boy problems are non-exist... ;)
31. number of EXs i'm still in touch with, i.e. i've spoken to in the last two months: three
25. when i grow up, i'm only going to drive convertibles.
24. i taught myself how to use my dad's uber-expensive Sony turntable right around when i taught myself to read-- sometime between age 3 and 4. i had my own little stack of 45s, too. see? vinyl-phile from toddlerhood on...
23. newest fast food obsession: del taco cheese quesadilla. better than most restaurant's versions.
22. i'm totally fine with going to the movies alone. why this weirds people out is beyond me.
21. number of engineers i've dated: three
15. the smell of Gunk thrills me. WD-40 ain't bad either. i'm telling you, i was raised in the garage.
14. when taking away my library card ceased to work (seventh grade), dad took away my RADIO. an angst-ridden teen with no depeche mode??? TORTURE.
13. despite all my foaming at the mouth about fast food, i have it maybe 6 times a year.
12. last movie watched: Mean Girls, with Eileen Perfume.
11. i really do believe that every ex- i had prepared me for the love i am currently ensconced in, and that my angel S is getting the very best Anna, ever. :)
5. if a boy won't let me drive his car, it's fucking OVER. trust issue much? it's not like i suck at driving. i'm a better parallel parker than 90% of the men i date. when *i* stick it in, it goes in right the first time. ;)
4. last CDs purchased: sondre lerche, modest mouse, a global underground compilation for S. CD i want? a pixies performance from the current tour.
3. i'd be blissed if there were an indian fast food joint. can you imagine? samosas at the drive-through window?! damn.
2. movie heroines i've reminded my friends of:
cher from clueless,
elle from legally blonde,
mona lisa from my cousin vinnie.
movie heroine i remind myself of (i wish!): scarlett from GWTW.
oh, and in case you cared? the numbers were divided by "category":
3s fast food
1s ex’s (but number 1 is actually about food b/c i was grasping for stuff to say about EXs)
did you learn anything new about me? i'm not sure if i care at this point...my cough medicine has codeine in it and i'm LOOPY. ;) oy, i'm exhausted. think i'm going to BED. 'night.